Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Reminders

In recent days "cancer" has been very present in our lives. We've discussed it a lot with our family and friends and even though we are both better able to have these conversations, we're reminded that there is no escaping it. We appreciate the love, support, prayers, and strength that are sent our way each and everyday, but talking about it, at least with Ken, brings down his mind and spirit.
Ken had his PET scan this week which is another reminder and comes with some anxiety about how his treatment is progressing. We will be meeting with his doctor next week to discuss the results. This reminder marks the half way point in Ken's treatment. We are anticipating positive results with little or no signs of the Lymphoma in his body. We were told that this wouldn't be wishful thinking, but a likely result as this type of Lymphoma responds well to treatment. Ken's fourth round of chemo began today and we are reminded of how horrible the last round was. The ginger is in full force and none of us are sick. It can't be as bad as last time!
People often ask me how I am doing. The truth is, I have bouts of awful anxiety, but I don't let those moments affect my overall being. I don't know how or why, but I've found an internal strength that allows me to keep going. I believe that everything is going to be ok. At this point, to live any other way would not be fair to Ken, to Stella, or to myself.  We both continue to strive for a "normal" life with as few "reminders" as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment